Re: Halloween Safety Tips
Issued by: Det.
Sgt. Jeremiah P. Marron Jr.
Darien, CT - In order to
assist our community in enjoying this fun-filled holiday as safely as possible,
the Darien Police Department has compiled the following Halloween safety tips
for children, parents, motorists, and homeowners:
Tips for a
• Always escort your children and carry a flashlight.
• Be familiar with the neighborhood where your children will be
• Set a specific time for your child/children to be out.
• Always know who is trick-or-treating with your children.
• Walk on the sidewalks and not in the middle of the street.
• Instruct your children NEVER to
enter any homes.
• Stay in well-lighted areas.
• Inspect all treats before allowing children to eat them.
• Choose fireproof comfortable costumes made of light colored material so they
can be easily seen in the dark.
• Consider placing reflective or glow in the dark tape on your children’s
• Have children avoid wearing eye makeup or masks, which will restrict their
• Avoid having children carry replica firearms, swords, or toys which can be
mistaken for the real thing.
• Give out only commercially wrapped candy.
• Teach children their home and/or parent’s cellular phone number in case they
• Consider a Halloween party at your residence instead of going out to
• Do not trick-or-treat by yourself.
• If props are carried, they should be made of soft rubber, Styrofoam, or other
• Do not take short cuts, especially through alleys.
• Obey all traffic signals and look in all directions when crossing the
• Don’t run! Walk to your intended destination and don’t dart in and out of
cars or driveways. If there are no side-walks stay as far left of the roadway
• Walk in the direction facing traffic.
• Only trick-or-treat at homes with their porch light on. Never approach a car
• Wait until you get home before eating any treats.
• Turn on your porch light so children know it is all right to visit your home.
• If you are placing a Jack-O-Lantern on your porch, place a glow stick inside
instead of a candle.
• Hand out only commercially wrapped candy.
• Never invite children into your home.
• Keep pets away from children.
• Maintain clear walkways that are free from obstruction.
• If using candles, keep them away from the path of children.
• Immediately notify the Darien Police
Department of any suspicious activity (203-662-5300.) Dial 9-1-1 in case of an
• Drive slowly and cautiously.
• Look for children walking on the street, running, and darting in between
• Be extra careful when entering and exiting driveways.
• Play your music at a reasonable volume so you can listen for potential
children crossing your path.
• Do not use your cell phone and Never drink and drive.
Thank you for helping
to keep Darien Safe and Happy Halloween from the Darien Police Department!
Issued 10:00 hrs