7/10/2020 - As Tropical Storm “Fay” approaches our area, the Darien Police Department would like to offer the following safety tips:
Safety tips to keep in mind in preparation for a severe storm:
· Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and fast-moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
· Be extra careful when walking outside. Storm damage such as downed power lines and fallen debris could injure you.
· Close storm shutters if possible and stay away from windows. Flying glass from broken windows could injure you.
· Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting and open only when necessary. If you lose power, food will last longer.
· Turn on your TV/radio. You’ll get the latest weather updates and emergency instructions.
· Charge your phone. You’ll have a full battery if you lose power.
· Bring in outdoor furniture and other items that could blow away. These may become a safety hazard.
· Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit. Include a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
· Plan how to communicate with family members if you lose power. For example, you can use phone, text, social media, or email.
· Create an evacuation plan with your family #darienpolice #darienct ?? weather.com